The Data Center and Hardware Operations team provides 24 x 7 x 365 support to the Symantec Global Data Centers. As a vital client touch point, the team is responsible for the efficient and timely resolution of any incoming technical issues. The Sr. Principal Data Center Specialist will be responsible for supporting all Data Center assets and supporting infrastructure and assists in developing long term roadmap for support and maintenance of critical infrastructure. The Sr. Principal Data Center Specialist will have experience in the build of new data centers (in co-lo’s), data center consolidations, integrations from acquisitions, and efficient usage, reporting, and maintenance of existing Data Center’s globally and take on projects as the primary point of contact for these activities.
- Has thorough understanding of technical concepts, Data Center layouts and operations required for efficient Data Center operations
- Leads the development of Proposals, SOWs, and budgets
- Maintains project schedule by monitoring project progress; coordinating activities; resolving problems
- Provide technical leadership on a wide range of Data Center projects including builds, consolidations, moves, capacity upgrades, or closures
- Works closely with cross functional teams, such as the network team, to design, deliver, and maintain solutions for internal and external facing customers
- Works on extremely complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables. Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Provides guidance to lower level technical personnel but has no formal supervisory responsibility
- Creates technical deliverables including assessments, capacity planning (space, power, cooling), detailed design documents (rack elevations, cable matrix), implementation plans and as-built diagrams/ drawling’s.
- Prepares project status reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends; recommending actions
- Supervise external contractors to ensure work is completed effectively and efficiently per SOW
- Identify process based improvements that generate operational and financial efficiencies including the development and presentation of the business case
- Communicate impact of major issues including the root cause
- Develops and maintain metrics for data driven reporting, analysis, and proactive improvements
- Participate in problem solving and process improvement actions related to Data Center operations
- Manage own workload and remain accountable, promoting a positive team approach under pressure
- Flexible and willing to adjust to new patterns, shift work and responsibilities
- Create, maintain and improve operational work instructions
Requirements & Qualifications:
- 8 years related data center operations (or related electrical, mechanical, or IT Infrastructure Management) with minimum of 6+ years’ experience managing data center operations infrastructure in a large scale mission critical environment
- BA or BS in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Information Technology or equivalent experience
- Has at least one Industry related certifications: RCDD, PMP, ITIL, Six Sigma, or related Data Center certification
- Ability to perform tasks with limited supervision
- Ability to successfully build and manage peer client relationships
- Strong written and verbal communications
- May determine methods and procedures on new assignments. Has created MOP/SOP and trained others on their usage
- Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills, with demonstrated ability to determine event root causes, performance shortfalls and required corrective actions.
- May provide guidance to lower level professional staff but has no formal supervisory responsibility
- Must be willing to work outside normal business hours, including weekends, late nights, holidays and on-call support and able to respond to emergency situations at the data center
- Must be comfortable working in a highly critical, fast paced environment shifting priorities
Symantec is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.